Welcome...

Welcome! Come on in! Make yourself at home and stay awhile. But beware of the odd flying toy, fighting child, dirty sock, or even a mad Mama. If you are looking to read about about a perfect family, this is NOT it. But if you want a real snapshot of day to day life in the deRegt household, you might just find that here. My desire through this blog is to keep in "real" touch with family and friends, beyond the picture-perfect Christmas form letter (hey, what can I say? I believe in wearing your heart on your sleeve). We consider ourselves blessed that there are so many wonderful people in our lives that we can't even keep in touch with everyone. Please leave a comment now and then, we'd love to hear from you, too. Except if you are perfect, then we want you to go away!!



Friday 3 June 2011

"Do as I say, not as I do!"

Below are some pictures from Janae's and Aiden's field days last week. Janae is none too modest about her 5 ribbons, as you can see! Aiden's Kindergarten field day wasn't about ribbons, it was about having fun. So he has no ribbons--fun, hey?

Although I am a proud parent, it came as a surprise to me that Janae did so well in several sporting events. She obviously doesn't take after her mother! Nonetheless, on the way to school this week I was reminded (or maybe kicked in the butt!) about how much influence I really do have.

I'm ashamed to admit that some days I drive my children to school even though you can almost see their school from our house. But that is another story. It usually involves a lot of dawdling and a little bit of yelling and hollering. I won't say who does what. And nothing irritates me more on those mornings than slow drivers who take their time slowly meandering down the road in front of me.

This particular morning as I missed my 4th chance to turn left off a busy street into the school parking lot, I might've muttered something along the lines of "why on earth does that truck have to take for-fricken-ever?!?!" Apparently I didn't mutter it softly enough, because as I was helping Janae out of the van and putting her backpack on she turns to me and says, "Why does this backpack have to be so fricken heavy all the time??" Oh dear. I quickly apologized for saying it and told her that it isn't ok for her to say it either. Unfortunately that doesn't erase it.

I know, it's kind of cute in a demented way. And you might be laughing. But it sure was a lesson learned for me to keep on eye on myself, because there are 6 little eyes watching and copying every move I make. It reminds me of the story of the carrot, the egg, and the coffee (http://www.gardenplum.com/columnvine/carroteggcoffee.html). We all have a choice when placed in hot water--become hardened like an egg, turn to mush like a carrot, or be a coffee bean and bring a pleasing taste and aroma wherever you go--especially in hot water! I'd like to think of myself as a full-bodied bold blend...





No comments:

Post a Comment